Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Craig's Crazy Chocolate Cake

that name given to this recipe by my mother, many years ago...

Combine, then make a hole in the center:
3 c. flour (I've even snuck in some whole wheat)
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 t. soda
1 t. salt

Into hole of dry ingredients:
2/3 c. oil
2 T. vinegar
2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. water

mix, pour into greased 9x13" pan
bake at 350 for 30+ minutes

(adjust recipe for smaller cakes, adjust time for smaller cakes and cupcakes)


This variation for my Dad's birthday cake ...
First, I made a package of cheesecake flavored instant pudding
Then I made the cake with...
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
3/4 t. soda
1/2 t. salt

in a glass measuring cup
1/2 c. applesauce
enough oil to make it 2/3 c.
2 T. vinegar (oops, it should have been 1 T.)
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 c. water

I mixed the cake and then added the pudding to the mixture before baking. I tried only 1/2 c. sugar, but the batter didn't taste right. I know, I know, as a Doctor's daughter, I should know better than to eat cake batter with raw eggs in it. But in this case, I think this particular Doctor will thank me later.
I can give this variation a resounding "yuck". It took over an hour to bake. There was too much pudding in it, so it turned out more like a custard. Dad appreciated it, but I thought it was no good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment