Monday, February 28, 2011

"Hong Kong Special Soup"

Another attempt at the "Hong Kong Special Soup" I grew up with in Nairobi ...

It's been so long that I don't remember all that was in the soup, so am going on others' suggestions.

Saute for 10-15 minutes in 3 T. oil (I used olive this time)
3 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped sweet onion
3 "heads" of baby bok choy
(I omitted suggested celery, broccoli and cauliflower)
1/4 t. salt


Add:
2 cans chicken broth
1T. dried parsley
shrimp (I used cooked, tail off)
shredded pork (sliced chicken will work too)
pepper to taste
soy sauce to taste
noodles : I like to use ramen noodles because the noodles that Hong Kong used were curly. Otherwise, egg noodles are an option. For this batch, I put a metal strainer into the broth with the chunk of noodles just before serving, so that the noodles were cooked, but weren't in the leftovers to get mushy.


I don't think it was quite the same as I remember, but it was very good and I think I'll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment