Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Veggie Lasagna and humus

A new venture!

A disclaimer:
In all honesty, I rarely measure. So, measurements are usually approximate.


It's nearing the end of "Meatless March" at our house. The month has gone well, I'd say. Leesha came home from her dad's saying she'd had a burger on Saturday and felt like throwing up afterwards. We'll see how we take to meat again next week.

So, today, I wanted to roast garlic to make some more humus. I decided I'd try to roast the onion too. As long as I was at it, I roasted some tomato for our veggie lasagna for dinner.

I set the oven to 405, wrapped the unpeeled garlic cloves in foil, put some olive oil on the sweet onion and quartered tomato and let them bake for 40 minutes (the tomato was only in for about 20 minutes though).

The lasagna:
sauce: (I let this simmer for a while after mixing)
generic store bought spaghetti sauce
a little bit of steamed cauliflower
3 shredded zucchini
1 roasted tomato
some roasted sweet onion
a few cloves of roasted garlic, mashed

Cheese mix:
about 10 oz. soft tofu
15 oz. ricotta
2 c. shredded mozarella
2 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
enough parsley to add some color
(I've tried spinach in this mixture, but have finally learned my lesson that I don't really like frozen spinach - maybe I'll try again in the future)

Layer uncooked lasagna noodles, sauce and cheese mixture until you run out. Add 1/2 c. or so of water to help noodles cook.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about an hour.


Humus:
blend in food processor:
1 can of garbanzo beans (drain, but save liquid)
1/2 cup tahini (for Twin Cities folk, this is super cheap over at Holy Land)
2 T lemon juice
1/2 roasted sweet onion
5 cloves roasted garlic
2 t. olive oil (for Twin Cities folk, this is cheap at Trader Joes, and probably Holy Land too)
2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. paprika (my recipe calls for cayenne, but I haven't gotten that yet)
1/2 t. salt
enough of the liquid saved at the beginning to give it a good consistency

When I made a batch on Sunday, I used a package of pine nuts which I'd roasted, as well as raw onion (half sweet, half white) and that batch was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment