Monday, March 15, 2010

Esau's Lentil Soup

or Mjeodrah
from my "Fix it and Forget it" cookbook

Saute in 1 T. olive oil:
1 c. chopped carrots
1 c. diced celery
2 c. chopped onion
(I usually use a lot more veggies)

When these veggies are soft, transfer them to the slow cooker.

Using the same skillet and another 1T. olive oil, brown until dry
2 c. brown rice
add to slow cooker

Finally, add and stir:
6 c. water (I use prepared bullion)
1 lb. rinsed and drained lentils

Cook on High 6-8 hours

The cookbook suggests it be topped with a garden salad and vinaigrette. I like it plain with some fresh Roti or Nan from an Indian restaurant, or I'll make whole wheat pitas.

2 comments:

  1. Is the rice cooked before you put it in the cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Alina, I didn't know I had a comment/question here. I don't usually cook the rice. The Fix It and Forget It Cookbook I use says to cook the raw rice in oil before adding to the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete