Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken Caesar Salad and Rhubarb Crisp

Growing up, I thought chicken was only done when it was dry and stringy. Now I know better.

I used olive oil to fry some chicken for our salad tonight, seasoning it with only salt and pepper. Since I had a bunch on hand, I served the salad with tomato as well as some sauteed sweet onion and mushrooms.

With the rhubarb growing in the garden, I figured it was time to use up some of the stuff from last year that was still in the freezer. I've taken to making just a small amount of "crisps" for dessert.

This recipe adapted from my Betty Crocker cookbook ...

Preheat oven to 375

Grease pan you're going to use (this varies with the size of crisp you want to make)

Cut up fruit (or in my case, veggies) and arrange in bottom of pan

Separately, mix:
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oats (I use old fashioned despite the recipe calling for quick cooking)
1/3 c. stick margarine or butter (soft or melted)
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 t. ground nutmeg

Spread mixture over fruit (or veggies) and bake for 30 minutes (or until the "crisp" starts to brown)

No comments:

Post a Comment