Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grandma's Birdseed Bread

My mom makes wonderful rolls and cinnamon rolls from a recipe she got from my Grandma Dorothy Maude (Isn't that a great name?)

However, being a health-nut wannabe, I'm changing it up.


In breadmaker:

1 1/4 c. WARM rice milk
(the original calls for a mixture of milk and water, which I suppose could be all milk with the various percentages of milk that we have now)
1 egg
1/4 c. butter in small pieces
1/4 c. honey
(the original recipe uses sugar)
1 t. salt
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 c. oat bran
(the original recipe is straight up white flour)
1 package quick rise yeast
1/2 c. birdseed mix 
(this is a mixture of whole groats, rye flakes, wheat flakes; as well as flax, poppy, sesame, sunflower, millet and pumpkin seeds)











I set the machine on the "dough" cycle, and once the machine had made the dough, I shaped it, let it rise until double, then baked it at 375 for 25 minutes, maybe a bit longer.


Note: the dough was sticky, so I added a bit more flour just to shape it.  I think adding too much flour is part of the reason I've not succeeded with a soft loaf previously.


We really liked it.  I finally made a bread that was soft, sweet and kinda healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment