Thursday, February 7, 2013

Apple Pie

I've posted this pie recipe before, but made more alterations.
http://eggallergyandrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/09/best-egg-free-apple-crumb-pie.html

We have no major allergies in our house, but I have a "thing" about pastry dough, so I use this recipe.

I made an apple pie for my dad's birthday on January 20th, and decided to do another one last night so I could eat more cinnamon (it's a natural antibiotic and I get ear infections a lot).  So, here's what I did last night, which turned out good enough that Jeffry, who normally doesn't like apple pie, commented on it.

First of all, I altered the crust, mixing it up in my food processor (my new favorite appliance):
1/2 c. white flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter

I patted most of that down into the pie plate, then mixed;
4 peeled and 3 unpeeled Granny Smith apples, chopped (I realize I could have left the skin on all of them - there are a lot of nutrients in apples just under the skin, and the skin adds fiber)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/4-1/2 each: ground nutmeg and cloves

The rest of the crust went on top.

I started baking it at 450, but after 10 minutes, the topping was really brown, so I dropped the temperature down to 400 for the remaining time.

No comments:

Post a Comment